Monday 31 May 2010

Putting it all together

Unfortunately I'm way behind with this assignment as I've been unwell for the past couple of months, but I'm on the case again now and have been doing lots of reading around Web 2.0 technology.

Initially, I found this module quite disjointed: Excel / Access were taught by one tutor and Web 2.0 by another. The tutors were teaching quite different subjects in very different ways, and I found it hard to put the two topics together as one whole.

Having done more preparation for this assignment, I can now see how the two might link together. I occasionally have to produce reports for work, and can see that being able to collate data in a spreadsheet or database could support that.

I had never considered 'social media' packages as valid workplace tools before starting this assignment. I have had to think more laterally about how I communicate with my colleagues and have had discussions at work about introducing a wiki for the administrators to use when collaborating on projects. Unfortunately, I am employed by two public service organisations, both of whom have rigid policies regarding the use of technology in the workplace, and it may be a lengthy process to get approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment